The masts are starting to take shape. Just before we set sail north this summer i had a good rake through all my Douglas Fir that has been air drying for two years now and moved it into the workshop so it would be good and dry for when I returned - and it is! Its amazing how fast douglas fir dry’s out - i reckon 6 months would have been fine.
The timber I am using is native douglas fir locally sourced. This was cheep compared to imported timber but extra is required so you can cut out all the defects. The longest lengths i could get were 27 foot but after I had cut out all the bad knots generally they would end up at 20’ or less although some were used full length. In order to get the 39.5foot required for the main mast (36’ fore mast) each stave was made up of three bits scarfed together. All scarfs are staggered so you never get two next to each other.
Tomorow i hope to start the rounding process on the main mast........a good sunday job.